SURU Cycles are a new breed of comfortable, long-range e-bike. Perfect for sweat-free commuting, country lane cruising, or making commercial deliveries a breeze. No gas, no license, no insurance, no problem. Created by international award-winning motorcycle designer Michael Uhlarik, SURU combines the casual ease of a bicycle with the strength of a motorcycle.
Easy & practical
The lockable battery is stored under the seat, protected from weather and tampering, but easily removed for charging at home or in the office. A complete recharge takes only 3.5 hours.
Anywhere a bicycle can go, SURU goes too. The SURU One is light and narrow so easily fits into existing bicycle infrastructure like urban parking racks, bicycle lanes, and even elevators.
A reliable companion
Made in Canada, SURU is the only e-bike with DOT certified, motorcycle-grade wheels, tires and lights delivering all-weather visibility and secure stopping power. Full, adjustable suspension comes standard.
Electric racing motorcycle technology
SURU gets its space- and energy-saving chassis directly from SAF monocoque technology developed for Canada’s first electric racing motorcycle, the Amarok P1. The same team of R&D professionals designed the SURU One.
SURU is designed, tested and assembled in Canada. Based in the village of Hubbards, Nova Scotia on the Atlantic coast, SURU is fabricated from parts manufactured to our design from suppliers in our community, and all across Canada.
- Length: 170 cm
- Wheelbase: 115 cm
- Seat Height: 79 cm
- Handlebar Height: 90 cm
- Maximum Width: 50 cm
- Weight (including battery): 35.5 kg
- Maximum Range: 50km / 30 miles (Level ground, 90 kg rider, electric power only)
- Maximum Speed: 32 km/h / 20 mph (Level ground, 90 kg rider, electric power only)
- Motor: 36v 500 Watt geared brushless DC hub drive
- Battery: 650 Watt-hour Sony lithium-ion
- Charger: 5 amp, 110v CSA/UL certified
- Frame: multicellular, stressed-skin monocoque, CNC milled bearing interfaces
- Material: 5000 and 6000 series aluminum alloys
- Finish: powder coated, inside and out
- Rear swingarm: monocoque 6000 series aluminum with CNC milled dropouts
- Bodywork: gelcoat/epoxy finished fibreglass composite
- Crankset: alloy 165 mm single speed, 44 tooth
- Freewheel: zinc-coated, 16 tooth
- Chain: single speed
- Pedals: anodized aluminum, BMX-style
- Bottom Bracket: sealed cartridge, 127 mm square taper
- Brake(Front): Motorcycle-spec, 110 mm self-adjusting internal drum
- Brake(Rear): AVID 160 mm mechanical disc
- Wheels: 17” alloy DOT-approved motorcycle rims
- Tires: 17” x 2.5” Vee Rubber (DOT highway rated)
- Suspension(Front): 28 mm EBR mechanical telescopic fork
- Suspension(Rear): Coil-over hydraulic strut with adjustable rebound
About the company
Born from technology developed in the world’s first fully monocoque electric superbike, the featherweight Amarok P1, SURU was created to address the need for quality, integrated design electric bicycle in a global market saturated with mediocre conversions.
Motorcycle industry veteran Michael Uhlarik co-founded SURU together with Kevin O’Neil and a few friends to create an electric vehicle that had all the virtues of a bicycle; easy on-off use and light weight; and combine it with comfort and engineering of a motorcycle.
Michael created a unique design that is strong, practical and easy to manufacture, by leveraging decades of experience and a design philosophy cultivated by designing motorcycles for brands like Yamaha, Aprilia, and Bombardier.
Best of all, it is all made in Canada, not offshore, assembled using more than 60% local content. Thanks to state-of-the-art manufacturing technology, it also costs no more than competing products sourced from overseas.
Most e-bikes are retro-fitted conventional bicycles, assembled using off-the-shelf frames and bolted-on powertrain parts. SURU breaks this paradigm with a clean-sheet design that fulfills personal point-to-point transportation needs without breaking or breaking the bank.
SURU is a professionally designed, engineered and manufactured product with a hand-crafted touch. Our company is made up of motorcycle, motor sport and cycling enthusiasts who not only possess the technical expertise to develop new vehicles, but love creating things that move you. We all ride, drive, and race with passion.
Source and pictures: https://www.ridesuru.com/